Needs-Based Travel Grants
Thank you for your interest in applying for a needs-based travel grant for the 2018 YSC Summit. The travel grant application process is now closed. All available funds have been allotted. But don’t fret! You may apply for a registration fee waiver or become a Summit Fundraiser to help support your travel costs to the Summit. You can receive up to $1000 in travel reimbursements through the fundraising program! See you in Orlando.
- Travel grants are needs-based and distributed based on the eligibility requirements below. They are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Apply early! Once all travel grant funds are depleted, the application process will be closed.
- The application process is open until January 15, 2018, or until funds run out. You will be notified of your eligibility no more than 10 business days after submitting your application.
- Those who have attended the Summit and received a travel grant two or more years in a row are ineligible to apply for a travel grant this year. Applicants living with metastatic breast cancer are exempt from this new policy.
- Before registering and accepting your travel grant, please note that the travel grant is meant to offset your costs and will likely not cover all of your expenses. We strongly encourage you to research transportation costs to better understand the additional amounts for which you may be personally responsible. If you are interested in additional funding, check out our Fundraising page.
To apply for a registration fee waiver only (no travel expenses covered), please review the Registration Fee Waiver page.
The eligibility requirements for a needs-based travel grant are:
- Demonstrated financial need based on household income and the ability to provide documentation.
- Priority is given to young breast cancer survivors and young women living with metastatic breast cancer, with additional funds available for co-survivors and healthcare providers.
- You must be in good standing with Young Survival Coalition (YSC) conferences and events. YSC reserves the right to decline a travel grant application, should an individual provide misinformation on his/her application or otherwise show misconduct at any YSC event.
- Starting this year, those who have attended the Summit with a travel grant for two or more years in a row are ineligible to apply for a travel grant. Applicants living with metastatic breast cancer are exempt from this new policy. There is no limit on the number of times an individual living with metastatic cancer can receive a travel grant.
Travel Grant Allowances
The total amount of travel grant reimbursement may not exceed $630* USD. As noted below, you will receive a separate registration fee waiver code, which has a value of $150 USD.
Eligible travel grant items may include:
- One registration fee waiver (code will be provided once your application is approved).
- Up to three nights shared hotel room at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld in Orlando, FL (50% of room rate, i.e. $95 each night). Total room rate is $169/night plus taxes ($190/night total). The cut-off date for our room block rate is February 1, 2018.
- A portion of transportation costs (plane, bus, train, car, ground transportation to/from the airport in Orlando). If traveling by car, please note we will only reimburse for mileage at the approved Federal rate and hotel self-parking.
The following items are not covered:
- Gas, rental cars and tolls
- Valet parking/private cars**
- Airline tickets purchased with frequent flier/rewards miles and any related fees
- Airline seat upgrades and trip insurance
- Food and drinks not provided by the conference
*Example: If you book a shared room at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld for 3 nights ($285) you will have $345 available for reimbursable travel expenses.
**Private cars up to $40 each way from the Orlando International Airport and $100 each way from Orlando Sanford International Airport are reimbursable.
There will be a $10 non-refundable application fee. When applying for a travel grant, please take into consideration your financial need and your commitment to attending the National Summit. YSC is dedicated to using these funds to help as many attendees as possible, and cancellations impact our ability to do so.
Terms and Conditions
It is important that you read through the terms and conditions below. Failure to comply could make you ineligible for financial assistance from YSC.
- If you receive a travel grant and decide not to attend or would like to decline the travel grant, please contact email@example.com immediately. Failure to do so may make you ineligible for future travel grants from YSC.
- If you do not register for the conference within five days of receiving your travel grant, your travel grant will be cancelled.
- You must secure and cover all of your transportation and hotel expenses upfront. YSC will not pay for your transportation and hotel costs in advance of the conference, but we will reimburse you afterwards in the amounts indicated above. All receipts must be provided.
- You must make your own hotel reservations at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld online or by calling 407.351.5555 or 800.266.9432. Mention the Young Survival Coalition 2018 National Summit to get the group rate. Reservations must be made at the Renaissance Orlando in order to receive reimbursement. We cannot reimburse for stays at other hotels.
- Your hotel allowance covers 50% of the room rate per night. Because of that, we strongly encourage you to share a room with another attendee. And we’ve made it easy for you! Check out the roommate board to connect with other attendees.
- You are required to check-in at the travel grant registration table when you arrive at the conference. Please bring a valid photo ID. You are also required to sign-in. Failure to do so may disqualify you from reimbursement.
- In order to be reimbursed, you must complete a reimbursement form and submit a receipt for each item listed on the form. Plane, train, bus and hotel receipts must include your name and the amount paid. Parking receipts must include the dates, locations and amount of purchase. For mileage, please include driving directions that show your mileage from home address to conference venue (using a platform like Google Maps or MapQuest). The deadline to submit forms and receipts is March 28, 2018.
- You must be at least 18 years old to receive a travel grant.
- Should your transportation reservations be cancelled, YSC is not responsible for those costs or any related fees.
- If you do not attend the conference and did not notify firstname.lastname@example.org in advance, or you do not submit for reimbursement after the conference has concluded, you will not be eligible for travel grants at future YSC conferences.
- You must attend all of the conference sessions. Failure to do so may make you ineligible for future financial assistance.
If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com or call: 610.690.5184. We are here to help!