Needs-Based Travel Grants
Thank you for your interest in applying for a needs-based travel grant for the 2020 YSC Summit. Please read carefully before applying for a travel grant.
- If you are applying for a travel grant, do not also apply for a fee waiver. You are only eligible for one or the other.
- Travel grants are needs-based and distributed based on the eligibility requirements below. They are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Apply early! Once all travel grant funds are depleted, the application process will be closed.
- The application process is open until January 15, 2020, or until funds run out. You will be notified of your eligibility no more than 10 business days after submitting your application.
- Those who have attended the Summit and received a travel grant the past two years (2018 and 2019) in a row are ineligible to apply for a travel grant this year. Applicants living with metastatic breast cancer are exempt from this policy. Those who were ineligible to apply for a travel grant to the 2019 Summit because of the “two year rule” are welcome to apply this year.
- Before registering and accepting your travel grant, please note that the travel grant is meant to offset your costs and will likely not cover all of your expenses. We strongly encourage you to research transportation costs early to better understand the additional amounts for which you may be personally responsible. If you are interested in additional funding opportunities, check out our Fundraising page.
To apply for a registration fee waiver only (no travel expenses covered), please review the Registration Fee Waiver page.
The eligibility requirements for a needs-based travel grant are as follows:
- Demonstrated financial need based on household income and the ability to provide documentation.
- Priority is given to young breast cancer survivors and young adults living with metastatic breast cancer, with additional funds available for co-survivors and healthcare providers.
- You must be in good standing with Young Survival Coalition (YSC) conferences and events. YSC reserves the right to decline a travel grant application, should an individual provide misinformation on his/her application or otherwise show misconduct at any YSC event.
- Those who have attended the Summit with a travel grant for two or more years in a row are ineligible to apply for a travel grant this year. Applicants living with metastatic breast cancer are exempt from this policy. There is no limit to the number of times an individual living with metastatic cancer can receive a travel grant.
Travel Grant Allowances
Travel grant awards may be up to $700 USD in reimbursable expenses for attendees living in the United States and Canada and up to $1500 USD for those from any other country, including Mexico*. As noted below, you will receive a separate registration fee waiver code, which has a value of $150 USD.
Eligible travel grant items may include:
- One registration fee waiver (code will be provided once your application is approved).
- Up to three nights shared hotel room at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel and Suites in Los Angeles (50% of room rate, i.e. $102 each night). *International attendees may use their funds towards up to four nights shared hotel room at the Westin Bonaventure. Total room rate is $179/night plus taxes ($204/night total). The cut-off date for our room block rate is February 11, 2020.
- A portion of transportation costs (plane, baggage fees, bus, train, car, ground transportation to/from the airport in Los Angeles). If traveling by car, please note we will only reimburse for mileage at the approved Federal rate of 58 cents per mile and hotel self-parking.
The following items are not covered:
- Gas, rental cars and tolls
- Valet parking/private cars
- Airline tickets purchased with frequent flier/rewards miles and any related fees
- Airline seat upgrades and trip insurance
- Food and drinks not provided by the conference
There will be a $10 non-refundable application fee. When applying for a travel grant, please take into consideration your financial need and your commitment to attending the YSC Summit. YSC is dedicated to using these funds to help as many attendees as possible, and cancellations impact our ability to do so.
Terms and Conditions
It is important that you read through all the terms and conditions below. Failure to comply could make you ineligible for financial assistance from YSC.
- If you receive a travel grant and decide not to attend or would like to decline the travel grant, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Failure to do so may make you ineligible for future travel grants from YSC.
- If you do not register for the conference within five days of receiving your travel grant, your travel grant will be cancelled.
- You must secure and cover all of your transportation and hotel expenses upfront. YSC will not pay for your transportation and hotel costs in advance of the conference, but we will reimburse you afterwards in the amounts indicated above. All itemized receipts must be provided.
- You must make your own hotel reservations at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel and Suites online or by calling 213.624.1000. If calling, be sure to mention the Young Survival Coalition 2020 YSC Summit and ask for the group rate. Reservations must be made at the Westin Bonaventure in order to receive reimbursement. We cannot reimburse for stays at other hotels.
- Your hotel allowance covers 50% of the room rate per night. Because of that, we strongly encourage you to share a room with another attendee. And we’ve made it easy for you! Check out the Summit Facebook event page to connect with other attendees.
- You are required to check-in at the travel grant registration table when you arrive at the conference. Please bring a valid photo ID. You are also required to sign-in with your full signature. Failure to do so may disqualify you from reimbursement.
- In order to be reimbursed, you must complete a reimbursement form and submit a receipt for each item listed on the form. Plane, train, bus and hotel receipts must include your name, the dates, locations, and the amount paid. Parking receipts must include the dates, locations and amount of purchase. For mileage, please include driving directions that show your mileage from home address to conference venue (using a platform like Google Maps or MapQuest). The deadline to submit forms and receipts is April 8, 2020.
- You must be at least 18 years old to receive a travel grant.
- Should your transportation reservations be cancelled, YSC is not responsible for those costs or any related fees.
- If you do not attend the conference and did not notify email@example.com in advance, or you do not submit for reimbursement after the conference has concluded, you will not be eligible for travel grants at future YSC conferences.
- You must attend all of the conference sessions. Failure to do so may make you ineligible for future financial assistance.
- Final approval of all travel grant applications is up to the discretion of Young Survival Coalition.
If you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 610.690.5184. We are here to help!